Thursday, August 16, 2007

....picky i would call it....

Gadsby's Hymns
William J. Irons 1812-1883

What sacred fountain yonder springs,
Up from the throne of God,
And all new cov'nant blessings brings?'
Tis Jesus' precious blood.

What mighty sum paid all my debt
When I a bondman stood,
And has my soul at freedom set?
'Tis Jesus' precious blood.

What stream is that which sweeps away
My sins just like a flood,
Nor lets one guilty blemish stay?
'Tis Jesus' precious blood.

What voice is that which speaks for me
In heav'n's high court for good,
And from the curse has made me free?
Tis Jesus' precious blood.

What theme, my soul, shall best employ
Thy harp before thy God,
And make all heav'n to ring with joy?
'Tis Jesus' precious blood.


"Gadsby’s Hymns, published in several stages during the first half of the 19th century, is a collection of hymns from multiple writers containing songs dating back to the 17th century. Some of the 1,156 songs in this hymnal are familiar, but most of these great lyrics have simply been forgotten in the modern church."

I've been listening to a band called Red Mountain Church. Instead of taking newer modern music and making it there own, they will take older hymns and put music to it. I think it is true godly music. I just believe many of the "christian" songs today are focused on becoming popular .....well sorry but the gospel of Christ isn't . Rather lifting the singer up in the lyrics than God. I grew up listening to hymns in a baptist church, and hated it i might add.(before I knew the Lord)... as I grew up in my teens and started listening to different music, I found that I enjoyed listening to metal.

Well once I was born again, the whole music issue was slammed in my face. I couldn't listen to that stuff anymore!! So I turned to "christian" metal.....(ummmm wow) It looked like the world, sounded like the world, I would guess they smelled like the world as well. The only thing that was different between them and Slipknot was instead of the cuss words the "christian" band would throw the name of Christ in there. So if I were to write the lyrics out it would look like this....

"I ( insert scream) love( insert really long scream) sin, ( insert someone growling) I (insert really high piched scream) cut ( you can't hear the lyrics here because of the drop d tuning on the guitar and the double bass drum) my (insert growl )wrist (insert someone screaming wrist) help ( add another growl) me, ( oh wait pause in the music) JESUSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!"

It just seems like everything that the world has, the Christian has the "christian" alternative

christian rock
christian myspace=His holy space
christian youtube= Godtube
christian business websites
christian coffie shops
christian this and that

"Christian is a great noun and a poor adjective." Rob Bell

Now some Christian alternatives are godly, but some well I doubt it. I guess I'm just showing my age. (18) ???? But honestly I'd rather listen to my hymns and a few select modern artists, have my bible, and pray Christ comes quick....



John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with this post...but...i'll be praying for you as you leave tomorrow for GFA. Always keep your focus on God's will...He will guide your every way. God bless and have fun!

Anonymous said...

I personally find it refreshing to see someone your age with such insight. I too have a problem with those that proclaim to be christian but look a whole lot like the world. I remember a 90s "Christian Rock Band" that looked like a take off KISS, and sink as I wonder how many people thought they were a good representation of what Christ is all about. Thanks for your values and your willingness to share them. Blessings to you as you leave tomorrow going to GFA.

Rebekah Hope said...

I usually don't comment on strangers blogs. I usually don't READ strangers blogs. But I am absolutely AMAZED that everything you're saying here my friends and I have disscussed in the past week. We heard an AW Tozer quote that started it all- "Christians don't tell lies, they go to church and sing them." How many times have we sung "Lord I give you my heart, I give you my soul, I live for you alone." then gone out and disrespected our parents, lied, blasphemed, and various other things. It's sickening. So we've turned to old Hymns to find something REAL. And.. Keith Green.. that's how I found your blog. I don't think it's a matter of being picky.. It's a matter of being desperate for something real in this crooked and depraved generation.

It's very cool to discover that the Holy Spirit is saying the same thing - even across the country on a random blog.

Cherie said...

I love the quote! "Christian is a great noun and a poor adjective." Rob Bell

Anonymous said...

Wow. I just stumbled on this blog because I was trying to see if my blog was on Google Blogs thingu. Anyways, I read about the metal stuff and this is what me and my friend talked abou yesterday. What! That's God. He's confirimng everything we talked about, because I hae a friend who listens to christian metal and metal, and I showed him this video from www.goodfight.org about metal and rock bands that sold themselves to Satan. It's really amazing. Wow. Praise God. Visit my blog sometimes if you can. www.praisehimforever.blogspot.com