Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Goin' Back to the Roots: Thoughts of the Weekend






















This weekend, let me tell you was great! Spending time with mom and dad, swimming with Amanda, listening to Kenneth preach what I thought was a great sermon, hanging out with Melissa's family, and of course spending time with her as well! I honestly can't wait to be back in Mabank and be around the lake. My desire to be back down there was sparked by something Kenneth said. I'm going to parapharse it, but here we go. In his sermon, he was speaking about Paul in Acts 21 and 22. He mentioned that Paul lived among these people, they knew his old life. But as he gave his defense, Paul made it very clear that he was a changed man.

Kenneth brought up a good point being that for so of us, we live among the same people who knew us in our old lives. Who all they ever knew was the old man. But now since we are saved, we need to live a totally new life. A life in Christ!

For me, I lived among the people of Mabank. People knew me as I once was (you can ask Melissa) but by God's mercy and grace, He saved me! He saved me...

Now, just as Paul, I can make my defense and say that God has worked through my life and change who I am. God did it, not me.

Tonight, many Mabank High School students just graduated. Some know where they are going, some don't. Others don't care, and others..well are just glad they made it this far. I remember that. I knew what I was suppose to do. God told me. I was called to live like Christ and tell people about Him. This is what I'm still called to do. He has provided me with a wonderful family. An encouraging best friend Melissa. A supportive church family, and most of all I have the Holy Spirit. He does all things well!

As I was driving home yesterday from Melissa's house, I crossed a bridge. It's a good size bridge in length. As I drove, I watched the sun fall behind the trees and rays of light peered upon the open face of the lake. I missed that so much. But then I realized that only about 5 miles down the road lies one of the darkness places on the lake. People who don't know Jesus. The "unchurched people". But watching the sun fall, God gave me hope that He is in control of all things. He is in control of all the ones who graduated, the drug addicts, unsaved church-goer, and everyone else around the lake. He put on my heart to pray for revival around the lake. Going back to the roots of Truth, and telling people about the Risen Christ!

As I heard this weekend, open your mouth and let people know about Christ. The Christ of the Bible.

No comments: